ISTP Definition of Personality Equals “Logic + Critical Analysis”
The definition of personality for the ISTP
includes the qualities of logical analysis, critical review, and being present-oriented people.
You may have come here from the MBTI “words to describe personality” page and you know or suspicion that your personality type is Introverted with Sensing, Thinking and Perception, because you have taken the Myers-Briggs personality assessment test. Or you may be here because someone you care about is this type. That being the case you can discover many qualities, traits or characteristics describing this personality type on this page.
I’m going to present ISTP qualities in a list format because I have found reading a paragraph when you are digging for some important, quick information, can be difficult, well it can be irritating! So let us take a look at a list of personality traits for ISTPs. This type:
- Is a natural logical and analytical
- Is quietly and very realistically watching everything
- Is naturally curious
- Is present oriented may struggle with future thinking
- Is active and outgoing for an Introvert, tolerant and easy-going
- Is typically needing autonomy, will become stubborn if denied it
- Is in possession of an acute bodily awareness/intelligence
- Is frequently masterful with physical tools and instruments of all kinds
- Does not have great respect for rules and regulations per se
- Is typically very task oriented
- Usually greatly values possessions and the great outdoors
Now do you see yourself/someone else in the above basic list of personality traits??
What we really begin to see with personality type is emerging patterns of behaving and using our brains. The ISTP way is natural, instinctive, beautiful, created to be this way. Let us continue.
Mottos Are Fun
For the ISTP these motto's or things to put on their battle flag might be:“Adaptable Troubleshooter”, “Pragmatic Problem-Solver”, “Do The Best With What You Have”, to name a few.
Let us make another list of personality traits, ISTPs:
- Are reasoning and making decisions with natural/instinctive logic and analysis
- Admire precision in action
- Will have difficulty (sometimes great difficulty) factoring in other people’s “feelings” in a decision making situation
- Usually enjoy solving problems, can be great in a crisis, natural troubleshooters
- Will be more naturally “object” oriented not “people” oriented when getting things done
- May dislike classroom learning as theory increases and hands-on learning decreases
- Normally, extremely utilitarian, if it can’t be used they will trash it
Now, my friend, the ISTP not only behaves in the above manner…THEY NATURALLY EXPECT EVERYONE ELSE TO DO THE SAME!!
So, what happens when they see that many others do not behave that way?? (only 5-7% of America’s population is this type) Answer: Different levels of stress, confusion, irritation, etc.; typically nothing this type can’t handle. So, this is a NATURAL reaction on the part of this type, they are not doing anything wrong.
More StuffThe ISTP:
- In relationships, are usually quiet, detached and reserved
- In relationships, are very calm, cool, and tough-minded at times
- In relationships, may have difficulty expressing feelings
- In relationships, can neglect to express appreciation for the way others feel
- In relationships, much of their expression is non-verbal, they speak with action
- In relationships, they can frustrate people with their need for independence and freedom
- Will resist the slightest attempt at control thus they can be slow to embrace commitment
Under StressThe ISTP:
- May become even less Introverted and more Extraverted, and verbally “attack”
- May feel suddenly trapped by rules, expectation, obligations, then suddenly move out and away from the trapped reality
- May become very pessimistic and see a mostly negative future
- May become explosively emotional under extreme stress
- May begin to take everything very personally and feel hurt
If this type is you, wonderful, perhaps you now have a better understanding of yourself, and perhaps you can use that increased understanding in many positive ways.
If you see someone else as this type but not you, please pay attention to the differences between your personality and the ISTP. Try to see that your way and the ISTPway are natural and just fine! Look for the positive differences, the strengthsthis type brings to your type. Celebrate that because it cannot be changed and can add wonderful diversity and truth to your life!!
Return from ISTP Basic Personality to MBTI Basic Page